Preston Commons Dental Care’s dentist and staff are highly trained to help you with all of your general dental needs. At our office, we offer root canal therapy for all patients that require that treatment. If you have severe dental pain and believe you could require a root canal, please come in for a consultation.
What is a Root Canal?
If you have suffered from a cavity that has infected most of the inner parts of the tooth, regularly known as the pulp which holds the nerve, you might require a root canal. During the root canal procedure, the dentist has to remove the pulp entirely to clean out the infection.
To save the tooth, the infected pulp of the tooth is removed and then filled and sealed. The pulp of the tooth goes all the way down into the roots, they call it a root canal because the dentist is cleaning out the canal of the root of the tooth.
Benefits of Root Canal
Usually, the other option when a root canal is needed is having an extraction of the entire tooth and the roots, the benefits of the root canal include:
- Root canal therapy lets you keep your original tooth, not requiring you to have an extraction and then have other cosmetic procedures
- Keeping your original tooth allows you to keep a natural look, have efficient chewing, and keeps surrounding teeth healthy
Symptoms of a Root Canal
If you think that you might need to have a root canal, here are some symptoms that you could be experiencing:
- A cracked or a chipped tooth
- Severe sensitivity to hot and cold foods or drinks
- Intense pain coming from a tooth while chewing and biting
- Tender or swollen gums
It is important that if you are suffering from these symptoms that you come in and see us right away. Here at Preston Commons Dental Care, we want to help you keep your teeth healthy but also give you the best resources to restore your teeth as needed. If you are in the Dallas, Texas area, please come see us!