Periodontal therapy- also known as gum disease therapy- is an effective treatment for anyone seeking gum relief. While periodontitis can be annoying, it isn’t untreatable. Preston Commons Dental Care offers effective and safe treatment for everyone looking for periodontal therapy in Dallas, Texas.
What is Periodontal Therapy?
Periodontal therapy is the go-to treatment for periodontal disease- aka gum disease. Gum disease is a severe gum infection that damages the soft tissue and bone structure. Left untreated, it can lead to tooth loss and bone decay. Periodontal therapy is a cleaning technique to remove the infection above, below, and around the gum line.
When do I Need Periodontal Therapy?
Periodontal therapy is a common technique that can save your teeth, gums, and bone structure. If you exhibit any of the following symptoms, get them checked by a dental professional as soon as you can:
- Red or Swollen Gums. Periodontitis is a gum infection. As a result, gums may swell, bleed, or change color.
- Loose Teeth. Teeth can become loose due to infected gums.
- Painful Chewing. Even if it’s not periodontitis, why stay in pain? Let’s get it fixed.
- Bleeding Gums. Bleeding gums- especially without an apparent cause- is a big red flag.
- Gums Pulling Away From Teeth. Gum recession causes loose teeth, which can lead to tooth loss.
Periodontal Therapy Process:
While the process may vary according to the individual, there are a variety of techniques, steps, and strategies we can use:
- Planning and Root Scaling: Plaque and bacteria that builds up over time cause periodontitis. The first step is removing the plaque from the teeth with specialized dental instruments. We smooth the rough edges of the tooth to prevent bacteria from gathering in the future.
- Treat Tooth Pockets. If the teeth have become loose, the gaps between the gum and teeth are prone to debris and bacteria. In this process, we clean out these “pockets” of waste and close the area. We reattach gum tissue to teeth through folding, smoothing, etc.
- Gum Grafting. In areas with extensive infection, gum grafting may be necessary. Gum grafts cover up exposed tooth roots, which aids in the healing and recovery process. Grafting will protect your teeth and gums against further infection.
- Bone Regeneration. If the infection reaches the bone, it’s time for a bone graft. We use artificial or natural bone to replace the damaged bone. A new bone will provide a strong base for your gums and teeth to regenerate fully.
Benefits of Periodontal Therapy:
Periodontal therapy is popular dental therapy. We’ll fully diagnose, treat, and help your gums heal at every step. Our all-inclusive care comes with a variety of benefits:
- Pain Relief. Healthy gums feel good. Reclaim peace of mind and eliminate unnecessary pain. You’ll feel better and be more pleasant to be around.
- Fresh Breath. Nobody likes stinky breath. Don’t let people point fingers at you behind your back, and take care of your oral health. Gum infection doesn’t feel or smell good.
- Healthy Smile. Periodontitis has a nasty habit of stealing your teeth. While a fallen-out tooth may get you a few bucks from the tooth fairy, it isn’t worth tooth loss. Keep your teeth healthy with periodontal therapy.
- Safe Treatment. Periodontal therapy is FDA-approved and safe. We take great care to keep you comfortable and secure as we perform this gum-saving procedure. As always, we’re happy to answer any questions or concerns.
Periodontal Therapy in Dallas, Texas
We value your health at Preston Commons Dental Care and want you to feel amazing 24/7. Dr. Justin Moseley and our team aim for the highest care, efficiency, and comfort standards in Dallas, Texas. As a result, we use state-of-the-art technologies and therapies to help you feel fantastic!